Sierra Del Barón Rojo

The epics of my Beechcraft Sierra.

Friday, April 28, 2006

 

Canberra Adaminaby Jindabyne

Here is one of the valleys on the way to Jindabyne from Canberra. I am looking for somewhere to land - a thing you do when you are a pilot, in case the engine cuts out.

We are at 8500' AMSL and cloud base was at 7000'. Note how the colours are washed out due to the haze.

A valley to land in

The snowy mountains - with snow

You can just see the snow capped peaks.

Adaminaby Airstrip from 8500' AMSL

I orbitted over Adamindaby airstrip and took this shot.

After landing at Jindabyne I talked to the locals from the Jindabyne Aero Club, they had the Gyro planes out. The main rotor blades auto-rotate due to the forward motion of the machine as it is driven by the rear-propeller. At least the rotor is free-wheeling and the only concern here is that the nut doesn't come off. I do not like small helicopters because I have seen how they are put together. I must find out how much these gyro machines cost because it looks like relatively inexpensive flying. It costs me about 17 L of fuel to takeoff in my machine.

Press this to see a Gyro takeoff

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   June 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]